Accra, Feb. 28, GNA
– The government has been urged to send specially trained doctors and nurses
together with the required logistics to the ports, to identify and quarantine
any person returning to the country, showing symptoms of the flu-like
The Ghana Registered
Nurses and Midwives Association (GRNMA) said there was an urgent need to beef
up the port health workers.
This comes amid
World Health Organisation (WHO’s) upgrade of the global risk from the virus to
the highest level.
Dr. Mike Ryan, the
WHO’s Director of Health Emergencies, says, the global risk level of “very
high” is the highest alert the organisation can declare.
He said earlier that
it would be “unhelpful” to declare a pandemic when the world was
still trying to contain the virus.
“If we say
there’s a pandemic of coronavirus we’re essentially accepting that every human
on the planet will be exposed to that virus. The data does not support that as
The GRNMA in a press
statement, signed by its General Secretary, David Tentorang-Twum, asked that an
attractive insurance cover and compensatory scheme should be put in place for
the special taskforce – those who would be doing the contact tracing and
transport suspected infected individuals to well-resourced health centres to
deal with such cases.
adequate protective clothing and disinfectants should be provided to health
workers at the designated centres.
The Association –
the largest frontline health care provider, applauded the government for
strictly following the WHO’s precautionary recommendation on evacuation despite
calls by some sections of society to do otherwise.
It said “the support
extended to students and the Ghanaian community based in Wuhan and other
province hardly hit by the blight is so far encouraging”.
Ghana is classified
among 13 Priority-1 countries in WHO Africa region at risk, based on flights
and passenger volumes and the GRNMA said stringent measures needed to be put in
place at the various entry points, to safeguard the country.
confirmed its first case of the COVID-19, as the virus which originated in
Wuhan, China, continues to spread to more countries.
An Italian man, who
arrived in the populous West African country, this week, tested positive to the
infection at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital.
The patient, is
reported by the Federal Health Authorities to be clinically stable, with no
He is being managed
at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos.
Mainland China, the
epicentre of the virus, reported 327 new cases, the lowest since January 23,
taking its tally to more than 78,800 cases with almost 2,800 deaths.
The number of
countries outside China with infections, now stands at 55, where about 3,700
cases have killed about 70 people.
Countries other than
China are accounting for about three-quarters of new infections.
Director General of
World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has called for all
nations to prepare – up their emergency response.
“This virus has
pandemic potential,” he said in Geneva, Switzerland, on Thursday. This is not a
time for fear. This is a time for taking action to prevent infection and save
In addition to
stockpiling medical supplies, governments have ordered schools shut and
canceled big gatherings to try to halt the spread of the virus.