That really depends. Sure, it is good to outsource. Not all the businesses are completely equipped to deal with all the small parts. So yes, outsourcing can be a very good idea. However, before you do that, there are several things to consider:
1. Which Part? You must decide which part of your business you would like to outsource. Most of the times, we outsource the parts that we can’t handle on our own, or handling it on our own is just too much trouble. For example, a manufacturing company may outsource the marketing to a BPO industry such as a Call Center. That way the telemarketers call the customers and handle the sales and the manufacturer goes back to manufacturing.
2. Can you do it? Do a cost-benefit analysis if you can do it on your own. If you have the capital, can build the infrastructures, and can find a good manager to handle the team, it’s better to handle the section on your own. The reason is simple. You will have more control on their activities. You do not have much control over an outsourced project. Do a one year projection and see if outsourcing will be cheaper. If it makes sense, do it.
3. Do they have it? Finally, if you have decided to outsource, check the company well. Do a thorough due-diligence on the company and get a good idea on their background. You must check for the following:
- Do they have the infrastructure and equipment to handle your project?
- Do they have the right kind of management and policies in place?
- Do they have trained agents/ operators? If they don’t, that’s also okay. Yours will be a new project to them, so they must at least have a good trainer or you can provide a trainer from your own company. That way the agents will be trained right.
- Do they have a good HR department that can hire good people, fire the bad ones, and can monitor performances efficiently?
If all those check out fine, yep, go ahead and outsource your project.
Credit: Adnan Monsur