How does Coronavirus Spread? – The 2019 Coronavirus (COVID 19) can spread from human contact with animals and also from human to human.
Transmission is of particular concern on transport, where droplets containing the coronavirus could pass between passengers or via surfaces like aeroplane seats and armrests.
Droplets of bodily fluids – such as saliva or mucus – from an infected person are dispersed in the air or on surfaces by coughing or sneezing.
These droplets can come into direct contact with other people or can infect those who pick them up by touching infected surfaces and then their face.
The incubation period of the coronavirus, the length of time before symptoms appear, is between 1 and 14 days. When it comes to human-to-human transmission of the coronaviruses, often it happens when someone comes into contact with the infected person’s secretions. The exposure factors are;
- a cough
- sneeze or
The 2019 coronavirus can also be transmitted by touching something an infected person has touched and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes.
How can people protect themselves? Are face masks useful?
In terms of self-protection and containing the virus, experts agree that is important to wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap; cover your face with a tissue or your elbow when coughing or sneezing; visit a doctor if you have symptoms; and avoid direct contact with live animals in affected areas. Carry a handy sanitiser around.
While face masks are popular, scientists doubt their effectiveness against airborne viruses.
Masks may provide some protection to you and others, but because they are loose and made of permeable material, droplets can still pass through.
Done read ‘How does Coronavirus Spread?’, Check out these;
- COVID 19 Facts and Fears
- How to Prepare for a Lockdown or Self Quarantine amid Coronavirus
- After Coronavirus Wearing Masks in Public Could Become a Norm
- What You Need to Know About Doing Laundry Amid Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Causing Economic Crisis
- Top 5 At-Home Bonding Activities for Families
- COVID 19 is NOT a Sign of God Punishing Man
- COVID 19 Myths Busted
- COVID-19 : What To Do If You Get It
- Explore WHO Health Alert WhatsApp for COVID 19
- COVID 19 Origin – COVID 19 Ghana Cases and Concerns
- What is COVID 19? COVID 19 Symptoms, Prevention and COVID 19 Treatment