As a Christian You Ought to Grow! This is simply a hard truth many would never want to hear or appreciate. Christianity is a spiritual movement and thus you cannot call yourself a christian and continue to be suffering from malnutrition and no growth. You ought to Grow!
There is a need for all Christians to grow because without growth a Christian becomes a problem instead of benefit. An old but immature Christian is always a bundle of mistake and pain. Below are the problems of the immature christian who ought to grow.
PROBLEMS OF THE IMMATURE CHRISTIAN
- They tend to know a lot of things but often do the opposite and justify their actions with the knowledge they have.
- They tend to know how to direct others toward God but fail to direct themselves.
- They know what sin is but can’t detect it when they sin.
- They won’t serve God but will feel jealous when others are called to serve so they frustrate them (Sanballat and Tobias: Nehemiah 4:1).
- They feel qualified like the pastor but can’t lead when given the opportunity (Aaron and Miriam: Number 12:2)
The Christian faith is a faith which demands that all followers of Jesus Christ grow from grace to grace.
Apostle Paul shares his frustration he has about Christians who ought to grow;
We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain, because you are dull of hearing. Although by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to reteach you the basic principles of God’s word. You need milk, not solid food! For everyone who lives on milk is still an infant, inexperienced in the message of righteousness.…Hebrews 5:11-13.
He repeats same in his first letter to the Corinthians;
Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans? – 1 Corinthians 3:1-3
However, the expectation is that as a christian you ought to grow, but how can we tell if a christian is mature?
SIGNS OF A MATURED CHRISTIAN
- The Mature Christian Knows the truth about God’s word.
- Mature Christians don’t just take what others are saying but also get into the word to know what God actually saying. They know God is not only milk and honey. Be the judge in the matter of whether Job’s wife was a mature christian….
Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die. But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips. – Job 2:9-10
- Mature Christians bear fruits or reap result.
Jesus Christ said, I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in Him that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.
- They exhibit the nature of Jesus.
Fullness of the stature of the measure of Christ – Ephesians 4:11-13
Being a Christian is a call to follow Christian, attain the height he reached and not to be marking time at the same spot you were born again at. As a christian you ought to grow, so GROW!