I turned 30 only a few months ago. And I can’t believe I just wrote that…Looking back on my 20’s, there are countless lessons that I wish I could have learned that would have saved me years of pain, heartache, and frustration.
1. Be Self Reliant: Learn to help yourself and go after what you want without the approval or aid of others. There is where true power lies. No one is coming to save you. You must captain your own ship and take charge of your own destiny.
2. Take Care of Your Health: If you set good health habits in your 20’s the rest of your life will be much easier. I know people who are 30 who look like they’re 40 because they didn’t take care of themselves. Exercise 3x a week, sleep 8 hours a night, eat whole foods, drink plenty of water, and avoid drugs. You can thank me later.
3. Don’t have unprotected sex: Just don’t… The short term pleasure is not worth the possibility of a permanent STD or having a child with someone you have little connection with.
4. Your Parents Don’t Know Everything: They want what’s best for you but might not know what is best for you. If your parents don’t have a specific result that you want, then you don’t need to feel like you have to take their advice. Respect them, but don’t listen to them all the time.
5. Be Careful who you listen to: If you wouldn’t trade lives with another person then you probably shouldn’t take advice from them. It’s like taking financial advice from someone $100,000 in debt (unless they tell you what not to do but even then…)
RELATED – 10 Lessons From My Big 3-0
6. Save Now, Enjoy Later: Seriously, save at least 15% of every dollar you earn now… You will thank me later when you have a stack of cash and you want to quit your job or start that business.
7. You Aren’t Special and No One Cares: Seriously. I know that plenty of you were told that you are special. You’re not and no one cares. If you want to be “Special” then stop talking about what you’re going to do someday and go do something that is worth remembering.
8. Success Leaves Clues: There aren’t many people who became successful through luck. If you want something, chances are, there’s a proven system for getting it. Follow those who have the results you want and you’ll likely get the same result.
9. Quit Whining: Again, no one cares… Complaining does nothing but lower your value and piss other people off. Oh, and according to many studies it can actually make you dumber. So there’s that…
10. Toughen Up: Life isn’t fair. People can be mean. Get over it and toughen up. Again… NO ONE CARES. You’re 1 person in a world of nearly 7 billion.
11. Stop Setting Arbitrary Goals: No, you don’t need to be a millionaire by 30, but you should be financially independent as soon as possible. Set goals with purpose, don’t set them because that’s what society or some crazy dude on YouTube wants you to do.
12. Self Knowledge is Key: If you don’t know yourself, then you will wander aimlessly throughout your whole life like a leaf in the wind. Understand yourself and your whole life will change in an instant.
13. Success Takes Time: Overnight success isn’t a thing and if you want to be successful then you need to be patient. Want to be a millionaire by 25? Good luck… Play the long game and enjoy your millions at 40 while all of your friends keep spinning their wheels trying to get that promotion.
14. Don’t Get into a Serious Relationship Yet: At 20, you don’t know yourself well enough to know who you want to spend the rest of your life with. Date around and experience plenty of different people, don’t settle down until you are closer to 30.
15. Sleep at Least 7.5 Hours a Night: Might sound funny but it’s true. If you sleep less, then you are destroying your performance and odds of success. Sleep more and sleep better. Don’t feel guilty about sleeping more.
16. Invest in Self Development: Personal growth isn’t “cheesy” or “woo woo”. It’s effective. Read Tony Robbins books, attend seminars, hire a coach, do whatever you need to do to become the strongest version of yourself.
17. Take it Easy on the Booze: Seriously, no one dies wishing they’d had more drunken nights where they threw up on themselves and passed out. Chill out with the liquor and you will save yourself money, embarrassment, and time. Most of your biggest regrets and mistakes will come from when you were overly intoxicated.
18. Sex Without Connection Isn’t Worth It: Look, you don’t have to save sex for marriage if you don’t want to, but don’t go screwing every person that you find somewhat attractive. Save it for people you connect with and you will enjoy it much more. Don’t give away the most intimate thing you can do with another human to just anybody.
19. Live Below Your Means: Even if you start making 6 or 7 figures in your 20’s, don’t live like it. Save, invest, and grow your wealth so that you can do whatever the hell you want in your 30s and beyond. This will set you free.
20. Travel: You’ll never look back and say “damnit why did I take that trip to Southeast Asia, South America or Europe!” You won’t regret it. Book it now.
READ ALSO – 7 Social Media Lessons I Learned By Myself
21. Laugh More: Life is too short to be serious all of the time and so focused on “getting ahead”. No one cares where you are in life they care more about how you make them feel.
22. Be More Open to New Things: Have some humility and be open to new experiences. If you live your life in a box you’ll miss out on so much that life has to offer.
23. Avoid Narcotics: Look, if you want to smoke pot or try out psychedelics, I won’t judge. But for the love of god, avoid hard drugs. I’ve seen many people who had a lot of potential throw it all down the drain because of drugs. It all started on the weekends for fun they said…
24. You Don’t Know Everything: You’re not that smart and I’m not that smart. Stop holding onto your need to be right and focus on the truth. Be curious instead.
25. Be Happy Now: Seriously, you have everything you need right now to be happy… Just appreciate things more and enjoy your damn life today in this moment. If you can’t do that then you’ll certainly throw away your 20s no matter what you do.
You only get to live your 20s once so don’t miss it…